Sunday, June 19, 2011

Installment Nineteen

I have been checking my e-mail constantly (even the spam just in case), hoping to hear from someone, anyone, from my very recent past in Beijing. I just can’t believe I have been forgotten especially since I know with complete certainty that my failed marriage must surely be the subject of many a dinner party conversation.

Expats love to gossip, spread nasty rumours, compare compensation packages, and bitch about their housing, especially in postings where you have people to do everything for you and too much time on your hands.

In general, though, expat life revolves around the next social entertainment and of course, alcohol and lots of it.

As well, that rocky marriage or none-too-discreet affair could happen to anyone and sadly does all the time. Better to laugh, stay tipsy, play a lot of tennis, and of course, shop 'til you drop.

It was while I was glued to my computer hoping for e-mail from Beijing (using a new unsecured WiFi network I found), that an uninvited flash from my past appeared at my door earlier today.

The first thought to cross my mind when I heard a knock was: Who drops in on someone uninvited anymore?

I peered through the peep hole.

Seeing the face that had come calling, I almost longed for Allan Fucking Goldstein. A pesky stalker is much easier to dismiss than someone who arrives bearing only kindness.

I began breathing deeply before realizing my gasping for air could probably be heard on the other side of the door. I hesitated, stepping back from the door, hoping that the man standing there would somehow magically vanish.

"Joelly, I know you’re in there because I saw you return home. Please let me in."

I remained mute.

"I'm not leaving until I see you. I came especially to Ottawa just to find you."

"Why would you do that? Aren’t you living out west in Victoria now? Ottawa is not exactly around the corner," I piped in from behind my door. I felt like a child. And no wonder.

"So you are there! Joelly, your father was my oldest and dearest friend in the world. I came as soon as I heard you had left Martin."

The man I have called Uncle Thomas my entire life stepped through my door and wrapped his arms around me. I became incoherent with sobbing.

"Why didn't you let us know? Marion and I just heard about Martin and your present whereabouts. I couldn't believe it when I drove over here just now and saw how close you are to...to..."

"...to our old house, right? Well, they say life comes full circle Uncle Thomas. I guess I'm living proof. And how is dear Aunt Marion?”

Of course they were not really my aunt and uncle. But in the peripatetic life of diplomats, missionaries, corporates, oil families and gypsies for that matter, friends became extended family by necessity. All those holidays spent overseas created new families.

"How on earth did you find me?"

"Believe it or not, I found you on Facebook."

"Facebook?" Who says irony is dead?

"You can't be a grandparent these days, Joelly, without being on it!"

I could only sob some more and cling to this gentle, caring man for dear life.

2 comments:

  1. Joelly, you have me sobbing again. Hang onto to that hug and cry your heart out!

    ReplyDelete