Sunday, June 19, 2011

Installment Thirty-Three

Deborah and Sean (now known to be née Kelly) just left my apartment. I am utterly gobsmacked. Such a great British expression to express being left shocked, speechless, and with your mouth (and that would be your gob) hanging open. Yes, I digress for reasons which will quickly become apparent.

I have been sitting on the news about Sean, his father, and his change of surname that I learned at the Irish tea. Who would I tell anyway? The homeless guy I pass on my walks? Hey buddy...here's a few bucks for a meal and by the way, my daughter's boyfriend is the son of my first love.

Thanks lady.

I was tempted to call Julie. What are cousins for anyway? I resisted, though, giving myself time to process it all. I don't see Dr. Larry for another few days so need to work out in my head what it means that my Deborah has brought Gabriel Kelly's son into our lives. Worse news, if that's possible, is my newly-discovered knowledge that my cherished (in memory at least) Gabe abandoned his children.

I'm both appalled and worried about a man I haven't even seen in over thirty years. How does that work? Do we ever get over a first love?

There must be a good reason he took off leaving his children to fend for themselves. Grief can do strange things to people. Maybe the shock of his wife's death gave him amnesia and he forgot he had children. "Hmmm" as Dr. Larry might say. But I have to believe he had a good reason.

After tonight's surprise announcement, though (as if I needed any more surprises), I really need to speak to my cousin. I have to tell her about Deborah and Sean coming over tonight to share their big news:

They have become engaged to be married.

Apparently, as it was explained to me, Sean will be posted elsewhere shortly (and as nothing changes in that life, he'll know at the last possible minute). Wherever he goes, though, he wants Deborah to be with him.

"Can't you just live together?" I couldn't believe I actually asked that.

Understandably, Deborah looked at me like I had lost my mind. Well, I unquestionably had.

Marriage of my first born is exciting all on its own and I have made no secret with my daughter that I can't wait to see her settled. So it's no wonder she looked so askance at my less than delirious-with-joy reaction.

"Mom!" she had said, her hurt feelings barely disguised.

"Sweetheart, I am so pleased for both of you!" I jumped up quickly to hug her and then could see that her face had immediately lit up, setting my own alight with her joy and relief that I had not hurt her. "I was just joking about the living together part. You probably are already."

"How did you know?" the two of them asked at the same time.

"You mean you guys are living together?" I really was just joking about them being intimate roommates. Does anyone tell a mother anything?

Then that it hit me: I have to tell TBM we have a wedding to plan.

"Have you told your father yet?" I asked Deborah.

"You're the first person I've told, Mom!"

“Mrs. Schuster...I mean Joelly...I mean..." Sean stuttered.

"Mom?" I finished for him, laughing so he wouldn't feel uncomfortable. I was capably fulfilling the discomfort quotient for everyone in the room.

Jesus, how is Sean intending to handle this news with his father if they don't speak?

And how many distressing situations can one woman hold in her mind before it explodes to smithereens?

No comments:

Post a Comment