Sunday, June 19, 2011

Installment Twenty-Four

I actually made a new friend today. Hurray!

This should not be treated as such big news, but everyone is way too busy nowadays to broaden their social circles. Making new friends has been difficult if not downright impossible.

And I have certainly learned that life as a single woman is like being left standing alone on the shore watching Noah's Ark pull away.

Living abroad, new friends popped up almost every week. Of course, the nature of mobility means those friends end up living on the other side of the world within a few years, but those friendships are intense and many can and do last forever.

Here in Ottawa, I have found it difficult to even make eye contact with anyone. Gadgets have more friends than I do, making me feel like an extraordinary loser.

It was while I was out walking along the Rideau Canal that I made my new friend.

When frozen in winter, the canal can rightly claim to be the world's longest skating rink. I enjoy the quiet meditative therapy of a long walk along it. For many days, I have been passing the same woman looking as contemplative as me.

Clearly a Canadian, we always acknowledge each other with a polite greeting. She seemed roughly the same age, although admittedly, I have trouble placing anyone's age. Denial of one's age is a no-brainer for women.

Earlier today, though, as I enjoyed my walk, I spotted her sitting down and staring at the water. She looked sad. I hesitated to impulsively stop and try chatting with her.

"Hello there," I said finally, taking a seat beside her, hoping she wouldn't think I was a nut case for starting a conversation. I've noticed since being 'home' that people so rarely talk to people they don't know. It was the exact opposite living abroad. I spent most of my life making small talk with strangers.

I heard a sniffle. She was composing herself. I really had disturbed her and immediately felt terrible.

"Please excuse me," I said as soon as I could, realizing my intrusion on a private sorrow. "It's just that I see you almost every day so I thought it was time to stop and say hello. But clearly, this is not the right day. I'll be on my way."

"No, please sit. I'm happy you stopped as I've noticed you too."

I patiently waited to allow her to continue.

"I just received some rather bad news so I could use some company."

I wondered: do I ask?

"I'm in the middle of a divorce..."

Do we give off a scent?

"...and my soon-to-be-ex is being rather difficult about financial support even though he embezzled from me the money I inherited when my father died."

Is there an unreported epidemic?

"I also just got rejected for another job I applied for, and I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will ever hire me. At my age..."

"Say no more!"

After stuffing our faces with the famed BeaverTails (calories: about a gazillion) we made plans to meet soon.

I walked home feeling the best I have in days.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! Fried dough can be so therapeutic! Wish (but maybe not) they sold BeaverTails in the lower 48. I found the recipe. My kids love them with Nutella!

    I'm glad you found someone with whom you can commiserate, Joelly.

    I just had a thought...why can't a man's midlife crisis be more constructive? Why is the dumbass route so ubiquitous?

    ReplyDelete